Methodist Episcopal Church South

Date Added: 
c. 1969

On this site stood the first building of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Bryan. Completed in Sept. 1869 for less than $500. on land given in 1861 by the Houston & Texas Central Railroad. The first pastor, the Rev. H.G. Horton was assigned to Bryan Station in Nov. 1868.

Earlier services were held by pioneer circuit riders, including the Rev. H.V. Philpott who preached in a theatrical hall over a saloon.

The original frame building was replaced in 1902 by a brick structure which burned in 1906. Two years later a building of the same plan was erected on the original foundation. The present sanctuary was completed in 1951. The education building was added in 1954.

Special Directions/Instructions: 
Inside the First United Methodist Church courtyard facing Houston Ave, between East 27th and East 28th Streets, Bryan, Texas. The marker at this location is the result of a State-approved local project. The marker was cast locally, which is why it does not resemble the more familiar historical markers.

Location

30° 40' 17.904" N, 96° 22' 8.292" W
Javascript is required to view this map.