Use the page numbers at the bottom of the page to navigate the historical markers listed below. Click on the thumbnail images to see a larger size image, and click the title of each historic marker to see more information about it.
Also available online is an interactive Google map of historic markers in Brazos County.
A movie theater has been at this location since 1913 and named “The Queen” since 1914. It was originally located in the three-story Stoddard Hotel built here in 1889.* The Schulman family purchased the theater business in 1926 and the building in 1938. It was replaced by a modern structure with steel framework, air conditioning and indirect lighting designed by Pettigrew and Worley of Dallas. The tall, white façade was topped with a revolving, neon-lit crown. It reopened on Nov. 21, 1939 and continued for over 30 years. Vacant and in disrepair, the building was purchased by the Downtown Bryan Association in 2010 and restoration began. The Queen is the only example of Streamline Moderne architecture on Main Street.
*Editor's Note: The Stoddard Hotel was built in 1884; it was renamed "The Exchange Hotel" in 1889.
Further information is available at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxFLu8F1xCg
Bryan was platted on land granted to the Houston & Texas Central Railroad in 1859. In 1900, a second railroad, the Calvert, Waco & Brazos Valley (CW & BV) was built through Bryan by George Gould. The CW & BV built a depot here in 1900. Besides train activities, the depot hosted social events until it was razed in 1990. In 1901, when tracks were extended to Waco, the CW & BV merged with the International & Great Northern Railroad (I & GN). The trains helped Bryan become a center of commerce, as the railroads were used to ship goods, particularly cotton, to larger markets for sale. Passengers also used the trains for travel. Railroad use declined after World War II, through resurgences occurred in the 1970s and 1990s.
Two Bryan attorneys, M.J. Beale and B.K. Davis, donated four acres of land at this site in April, 1874 for the purpose of establishing the Reliance Baptist Church, School and Cemetery. The Community was originally called Little Georgia, taking its name from the State of origin of an early 1850s wagon train of settlers. More families from the southeastern United States arrived in the 1870s escaping economic hardships following the Civil War by emigrating to Texas. David Lloyd of Mississippi changed the community name to Reliance in 1873 with the organization of the Reliance Baptist Church.
W.H. (Uncle Billy) Morgan established a cotton gin and general store in 1873 and also served as postmaster. In the late 19th century, Reliance included a general store, post office, gristmill, cotton gin, school, church and community center. As intensive cotton farming eroded the soil, area farms transformed into extensive cattle ranches. By the 21st century the church and cemetery remained historic fixtures in an area transitioning to rural residential development.
The cemetery is sited among century-old post oak, elm and hackberry trees. The earliest marked grave dates to 1881, although several older undated graves are believed to exist here. Community members made additional donations of land in 1951 and 1995, nearly doubling the original size of the church and cemetery property. The cemetery property is held jointly by the Reliance Baptist Church and the Reliance Cemetery Association, which governs the operation and maintenance of the historical burial grounds.
German immigrant Adam Royder (d. 1894) donated one acre of land here for school purposes in 1891. A one-room schoolhouse was constructed where area students received instruction through the seventh grade. The Rock Prairie Missionary Baptist Church was organized in the schoolhouse in 1900, and church services were subsequently held there, as well. The Rock Prairie School was discontinued in 1919 after it was consolidated with the nearby Shiloh School, but the schoolhouse continued to serve area Baptists as a house of worship.
Settled in the 1860s by Czech, German, and Polish immigrants, the Shiloh community was an area of large family farms. In addition to homes and farms, the settlement at one time boasted a community center, a two-room school, a vineyard, a mill, and a blacksmith shop. The families of Shiloh community maintained a cooperative relationship, often helping each other with planting, harvesting, barn building, and other activities. In 1883, to coordinate assistance efforts and group purchases of farm supplies, they formed the Slavonic Agricultural and Benevolent Society, which still exists in reorganized form as the Shiloh Club. The community later was completely encompassed by the City of College Station. Mrs. William G. Rector deeded land at this site to the local Methodist Church in 1870 for use as a community cemetery. The property later was acquired by the City of College Station, which established a larger city cemetery around the original Shiloh Graveyard. Although little remains of the Shiloh community, this cemetery serves as a reminder of a once-thriving settlement.
This parish traces its origin to Episcopal services held in nearby Millican in 1864. A yellow fever epidemic in the Millican area prompted the relocation of the Saint Andrew's Mission to Bryan in 1867. A parish was formed that year and led by The Rev. Robert Jope. The original church structure, located near this site, was consecrated by Bishop Alexander Gregg in 1868. The Rev. Randolph Ray held the first service in a new church building at this location in 1914. In 1992 Saint Andrew's celebrated 125 years of service and participation in a variety of community programs and activities.
Although Catholic worship services were celebrated in Bryan by 1869, this church traces its history to the early 1870s. The first church building was erected about 1871 for a small active parish. The Reverend John Moore is considered to be the first full-time pastor of St. Joseph Church of Bryan. Fire destroyed the church structure in 1876. The congregation held worship services in temporary quarters in a local store building until a new location was established. In 1883 the Masonic schoolhouse was purchased for $500 and converted into a church at a cost of about $1,200. In 1904 a new frame edifice replaced the converted schoolhouse. Another structure was built at East 26th and Preston Streets as the congregation grew. A new church building was dedicated here in 1960. Programs have been provided for church members and the community for decades, including traditional spiritual activites and social outreach support. St. Joseph Church has grown from a frontier mission with a few members to a large urban parish with more than 1600 family members. The church continues to have a strong presence in Bryan as it has for more than a century. (1997)
The Rev. Joseph Pelnar of Bryan's St. Joseph Catholic Church erected a parish school building here in the early 1890s. The children of East European immigrant families dominated student enrollment at St. Joseph's until about the 1930s. Teachers included M. Elizabeth Carr (1890s), Nuns of the Ursuline Order (1901-1930), and Nuns of the Incarnate Word (1930-1981). Facilities were constructed or acquired at various times to meet increased enrollment which reached its highest level in 1957 with 498 students. The school continues to offer local students general and Catholic educational classes.